Re: Wich e-mail server to choose?

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 07:00:33 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Sat February 14 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > I'm not sure what you mean. what does the "rc" mean, and what should I
> > > do?
> >
> > $ dpkg -l | head -n7
>
> $ dpkg -l | head -n7
> | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/

[...]

> I looked through the entire man page and STILL don't see any reference to rc.
> and a google search turned me to the Debian FAQ on package management that
> still didn't mention it.

The first three lines of the "dpkg -l" output tell you what the
abbreviations mean. The ASCII art lines of pipes and slashes indicate
which information is at each position (first "desired", then "status",
then "error") and the capitalized letters point out how each possible
value is abbreviated.

A Package with "rc " has "Desired=Remove", "Status=Cfg-files" and no
errors (since there is no third letter). This means that you had the
package installed at some point, that you then removed it without
purging the configuration files, and that there were no problems
encountered during the removal.

          Florian   |