Re: Upgrading kernel on a system that won't boot

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 08:50:19PM -0500, Dan Christensen wrote:
> Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 06:16:32PM -0500, Dan Christensen wrote:
> >
> >> Now one thing about my system is that mounting /usr will be a bit
> >> awkward, since it is lvm over several raid 5 devices.
> >>
> >> Can anyone think of a way to install a kernel .deb without having
> >> /usr mounted?
> >
> > Run from a LiveCD and use dpkg with the --root option. Read dpkg(1) for
> > more information.
>
> It turns out /var is also on lvm, so that probably wouldn't work either.
>
> But I tried sysresccd 1.1.5 and found that it automatically assembled
> the raid devices and started lvm!  All I needed to do was "vgchange -a
> y" to make them available.  So I just got everything mounted and used
> the chroot method.
>
> The machine is up and running again.
>
> Thanks so much for your help!
>
> Dan

Not a problem; it's reasons like that I advise using the Sysresccd. It
tends to work on 99% of setups, and does it what is meant to do: rescue
systems.

Anyway, glad to see you got it working. Have fun and happy Debian-ing!

--
		  http://pobega.wordpress.com
		    http://identica/pobega