Re: Upgrading kernel on a system that won't boot

Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> writes:

> What I would do is put a live system on a USB flash drive (System Rescue
> CD is what I usually use) and mount the unbootable hard drive from
> within the live system. At that point you could wget a kernel deb from
> http://ftp.uk.debian.org onto your old mounted hard drive. chroot into
> your drive's mount point, dpkg -i linux-image-*, and you're done; your
> system should now be bootable.

Thanks, I suspected that that would be a reasonable plan, and I've just
checked that this doesn't seem to require upgrades to user space.

Now one thing about my system is that mounting /usr will be a bit
awkward, since it is lvm over several raid 5 devices.  Can anyone think
of a way to install a kernel .deb without having /usr mounted?  If I
just unpack it with dpkg-deb, copy the kernel, initrd and modules dir
to the right place, and update grub, will that be enough??

Thanks,

Dan