Re: Upgrading kernel on a system that won't boot

Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 06:16:32PM -0500, Dan Christensen wrote:
>
>> Now one thing about my system is that mounting /usr will be a bit
>> awkward, since it is lvm over several raid 5 devices.
>>
>> Can anyone think of a way to install a kernel .deb without having
>> /usr mounted?
>
> Run from a LiveCD and use dpkg with the --root option. Read dpkg(1) for
> more information.

It turns out /var is also on lvm, so that probably wouldn't work either.

But I tried sysresccd 1.1.5 and found that it automatically assembled
the raid devices and started lvm!  All I needed to do was "vgchange -a
y" to make them available.  So I just got everything mounted and used
the chroot method.

The machine is up and running again.

Thanks so much for your help!

Dan