Re: Upgrade Debian testing to stable at Sunday

On 2009-02-12_13:10:25, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/12/2009 10:21 AM, Jason Voorhees wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Yes, you're right! So, the changes between the most recent debian
>> testing and debian stable at Sunday will be minimal, right?
>>

> Theoretically.

OP: Earlier in this thread Ron told you to point your
/etc/apt/sources.list at 'lenny' instead of either 'stable' or
'testing'. If you follow his advice, it is _certain_ that there will
be no untoward changes over the weekend. Your client's system will be
following 'lenny'. Lenny will not change, only its official status
will change, or perhaps not. Choosing 'lenny' avoids any surprises for
you and your client during the release. The release should, of course,
go smoothly, but if you follow Ron's advice, their won't even be any
moments of terror on you part because you misunderstand something on
the system which is new to you. On Sunday afternoon, the system on the
computer really will be the one you installed on Friday or
Saturday. No one is going to be putting new stuff into Lenny _during_
the time of the release.

I have been using the designation 'lenny' for several months. The
weekend will bring no surprises for me. A year or so from now, I
will start considering whether or not to upgrade to the release
that will follow Lenny. I will make the transition when I have
time to play with that release, and to see what is new to me.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net