Re: Upgrade Debian testing to stable at Sunday

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:09:33AM -0500, Jason Voorhees wrote:
> Hi people:
>
> I got a business with one of my customers to install him a
> Firewall+Proxy+VPN running Debian this Saturdary 14th. I was thinking
> about installing Debian Etch because I din't know that Lenny was so
> close to come.
> Now I think I would like to install Debian Lenny but maybe at the time
> I will do the installation (at 14:00 GMT) maybe Debian isn't released
> yet or I won't have enough time to download the ISO image.
>
> If I install Debian Testing at Saturday and then I upgrade to Stable
> at Sunday... will I get any kind of problem? would you suggest to
> install debian testing and then upgrade to stable some hours (or days)
> ago?

If you install Lenny on Saturday and Lenny doesn't become stable by
Sunday, and you still do the upgrade, you may have some problems. As
stated in another e-mail your best bet is to just specify "lenny" in
your /etc/apt/sources.list, so that you'll track is by release name
instead of type (stable, testing, unstable).

The only time you use the release type is for a rolling release system
(testing for home computers, for example).

--
		  http://pobega.wordpress.com
		    http://identica/pobega