Re: Which programming Language

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 08:13:13AM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 12:56:48AM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
>
> > > This is why I'm transitioning to Ada.  If I have to port anyway, I may
> > > as well port to a compiled language.  Ada was written as a standard long
> > > before the first compiler was done, then the compilers had to meet the
> > > standard.  Ada programs are totally portable from one machine to another
> > > (unless, of course, you import a non-Ada function that is not the same
> > > on all machines).  Ada is designed to allow for the long-term
> > > maintenance of programs.
> >
> > also, you can just compile your Python code and you won't run into that
> > problem.
>
> Someone has a python compiler (*.py to an executable)?  Yes, I know that
> python *.py modules get "compiled" into *.pyc byte-code but that still
> has to go through the python interpreter.  Also, what happens in 10
> years when I want to make a slight change to a program?
>
> Doug.

Well, to be fair, who is really to say the compiler will go missing?
I've never heard of a popular language's compiler/interpretor going
missing, especially considering that every Linux distribution mirrors
it.

I bet that in ten years Debian will still have a legacy package for
Python 2.x interpreters.

--
		  http://pobega.wordpress.com
		    http://identica/pobega