Re: Sane uninstallable

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 08:35:03PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Marc Shapiro wrote:
>> This does NOT seem to be a bug.  It is a problem ON MY box.
>>
>> I recently upgraded from Etch to Lenny so that I could get Firefox3
>> without going through all of the library hoops.  I have had a number of

BTW, you could have just downloaded a nightly build of firefox (already
compiled), and ran it with ./firefox
and then linked alacarte or something to your binary... That's what I do
on lenny

>> I have an Epson CX7400 All-In-One.  The printer works fine and it works
>> as a stand alone copier.  The scanner is giving me trouble.  I can't
>> install sane.  Sane depends on libsane-extras and it won't install
>> because it can not overwrite /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf which, in Etch
>> came from iscan which was installed from an .rpm using alien.  I have
>> purged the iscan package, but the problem remains.  The file is still
>> there.  I have manually rm'd the file.  It is no longer there.  But I
>> still get the error when I try to install libsane-extras.  It still
>> seems to think that the file is there, even though the package has been
>> purged and the file deleted.

uh, probably a dumb question, but did u try aptitude install -f

>> How can I get sane to install and my scanner functioning?
>>
>> Please help.
>>

> Further update.  It appears that when I tried to purge the iscan package
> it failed to purge.  That is why the file was still there.  Now, I have
> deleted the file, but the package is still installed.  I can't get it to
> purge and I can't install sane.
>
> HELP!

hmmm, dpkg -r I dunno just a suggestion... delete the binaries, wait no,
that could be bad if the packaging system doesn't know about it...