Re: Sane uninstallable

Marc Shapiro wrote:
This does NOT seem to be a bug.  It is a problem ON MY box.

I recently upgraded from Etch to Lenny so that I could get Firefox3 without going through all of the library hoops. I have had a number of problems, most of which I have resolved. (Getting X working properly was, indeed, a case of getting a real (NVIDIA) graphics card instead of relying on the onboard Sis graphics.) The only problem that remains, that I know of, is getting my scanner to work.

I have an Epson CX7400 All-In-One. The printer works fine and it works as a stand alone copier. The scanner is giving me trouble. I can't install sane. Sane depends on libsane-extras and it won't install because it can not overwrite /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf which, in Etch came from iscan which was installed from an .rpm using alien. I have purged the iscan package, but the problem remains. The file is still there. I have manually rm'd the file. It is no longer there. But I still get the error when I try to install libsane-extras. It still seems to think that the file is there, even though the package has been purged and the file deleted.

How can I get sane to install and my scanner functioning?

Please help.

Further update. It appears that when I tried to purge the iscan package it failed to purge. That is why the file was still there. Now, I have deleted the file, but the package is still installed. I can't get it to purge and I can't install sane.

HELP!

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com