Re: Slow Script

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 01:57:04AM EST, Alex Samad wrote:

> [silly time]

> 32 * 4 = 128
>
> so with 128M of memory he could hold 32 Million long int - I realise the
> record is probably got more than int's so with 1G of spare ram he could
> have 32 bytes per record.

Hmm.. 32 bytes records.. maybe a bare-bones ldap directory?

Naturally, with 300 bytes records, you need 10G of spare ram .. etc.

Another thing.. how do you guarantee your 1GB.. (10GB.. 100GB.. etc.) of
spare ram is available when your script starts running?

Because if not, wouldn't that send your system paging/swapping like
crazy with the benefit of trashing the system with added CPU overhead
the minute your script starts running?

Enlighten me!

> [/silly time]
>
> [snip]

> -- "It's a school full of so-called at-risk children. It's how we,
> unfortunately, label certain children. It means basically they can't
> learn.  It's one of the best schools in Houston."
>
> 	- George W. Bush While speaking about KIPP Academy in Houston, TX

In the future, Samad, please refrain from posting stuff like the above
concerning my country's former President.

You and your pals may think it is funny but some of us around here may
find it quite offensive.

Thank you.

CJ