Re: Slow Script

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 08:45:35PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 01:57:04AM EST, Alex Samad wrote:
>
> > [silly time]
>
> > 32 * 4 = 128
> >
> > so with 128M of memory he could hold 32 Million long int - I realise the
> > record is probably got more than int's so with 1G of spare ram he could
> > have 32 bytes per record.
>
> Hmm.. 32 bytes records.. maybe a bare-bones ldap directory?

well he is only comparing int by the looks of (we are just guessing
until we get more info) so 4 long int records ...

> Naturally, with 300 bytes records, you need 10G of spare ram .. etc.
>
> Another thing.. how do you guarantee your 1GB.. (10GB.. 100GB.. etc.) of
> spare ram is available when your script starts running?
>
> Because if not, wouldn't that send your system paging/swapping like
> crazy with the benefit of trashing the system with added CPU overhead
> the minute your script starts running?
>
> Enlighten me!

well I have 8G in my home server - debian am64, i don't think  having
1-2G free is unreasonable.  It all depends.

> > [/silly time]
> >
> > [snip]
>
> > -- "It's a school full of so-called at-risk children. It's how we,
> > unfortunately, label certain children. It means basically they can't
> > learn.  It's one of the best schools in Houston."
> >
> > 	- George W. Bush While speaking about KIPP Academy in Houston, TX
>
> In the future, Samad, please refrain from posting stuff like the above
> concerning my country's former President.

Hey its just fortune quoting bush, it real life.

> You and your pals may think it is funny but some of us around here may
> find it quite offensive.

Blame bush he said it not me ! I get quite a bit of kick out of them