Re: where is bind9's named_dump.db

Glenn English said the following on 2/3/2009 3:35 PM:
> I'm trying to look at the cache of my nameserver, and it keeps saying:
>
>> Feb  3 15:54:03 log named[20519]: received control channel command 'dumpdb'
>> Feb  3 15:54:03 log named[20519]: could not open dump file 'named_dump.db': permission denied
>
> A longer pathname would be nice. I'm assuming there's a directory
> missing somewhere.

While installing bind9, the output from dpkg said it wasn't going to
create /var/cache/bind, so I'm assuming it must have been there already
because it was there when I checked it just after the install of the
bind9 package using "apt-get install bind9"

> Bind9 isn't running chrooted; access to the zone files is fine, and
> there's only a single copy of each of them on the computer.
>
> 'named_dump.db' (or any other dump.db) doesn't exist anywhere on the
> computer. There's nothing in the configuration about where to put the
> dump file,

I'm guessing that you don't have a /var/cache/bind directory as this is
what your error indicates.  Mine has permissions 775 (drwxrwxr-x), owned
by root and group ownership is bind.

deb32:~# ls -ld /var/cache/bind
drwxrwxr-x 2 root bind 4096 2009-02-03 22:53 /var/cache/bind

I ran rndc dumpdb as root and the /var/cache/bind/named_dump.db file is
owned by bind and group ownership is bind with permissions 644
(-rw-r--r--).  My named daemon is running as user bind so even though I
ran this command as root, it's the bind process & user that wrote the
file to disk.

deb32:~# ls -l /var/cache/bind
total 32
-rw-r--r-- 1 bind bind 30249 2009-02-03 22:53 named_dump.db

In Debian, most application caches fall under /var/cache.