Re: new hard drive, reinstalling grub

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 15:20:55 +0200, <gpall@ccf.auth.gr> said:
> whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:
> >  *created all the lvm volumes groups and partitions,
> >  *created ext3 filesystems on the partitions,
> >  *created the necessary mount points on /, mounted all the
> >   partitions, then cpio'd everything over from the old drive,
> >  *ran #grub
> >    grub> root (hd0,0)
> >    grub> setup (hd0,0) (this is how the old drive is setup)
> >  *rebooted
> >

> DISCLAIMER: This might not be your problem.
>
> But if you still care to try: Boot with a live cd, and:
> # grub
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> setup (hd0)

Yes, this worked.  I also figured out why setup (hd0,0) did
not, when examining the backed up MBR (yes, I backed it up this time:)
of the drive.  About the first half or two thirds of it was zeroed.

That didn't look right so in dos I ran "fdisk /mbr" on a spare drive
and compared the two.  I don't know what all those non-zero values
represent but I guess it is enough to send the boot process to the
first partition to continue booting.

Thanks.

wg
--