Re: help with mlterm

Hi Tzafrir,

Thaks for your quick reply.

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 02:24:20PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:18:19PM +1030, David Purton wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to get mlterm to work in the way I want for a mixed Hebrew
> > and English environment.
> >
> > These are the things that annoy me in no particular order:
> >
> > - Is it possible to completely disable bold fonts like in
> >   gnome-terminal? I am using anti aliased fonts and have fiddled
> >   endlessly with settings in ~/.mlterm/aafonts, but without success.
>
> Err... why would you want to disable it?

Becuase complex charaters become hard to read, especially at small point
sizes. Bold is set to be a different colour, I don't need a different
typeface as well. Many terminals have the option to disable bold fonts -
it's just a preference thing. It's esp odd since I can specify a
completely different type face for bold fonts in mlterm using aafont,
but it still chooses the bold variant of that family no matter what!

I wondered whether it might be possible to control this using fontconfig,
since I found out that bold will even be faked at this point if that is
enabled in fontconfig. Trouble is, that I only want to do this for one
application - otherwise I might as well just remove the font file from
the disk...

> > - I would prefer to use SBL Hebrew as my font and put mlterm in variable
> >   width mode, but the vowel pointings seem to be shifted to the left.
>
> Variable width fonts in the terminal? Doesn't sound promising.

no, it's not ideal, but it actually works ok with mlterm (surprisingly).
Of course it's not going to be good for anything curses based!

What terminal font would you recommend for Hebrew? All the ones I have
tried look ugly as and the vowels only combine in a fairly simplistic
way, making it harder to read. (esp this is a problem for me since I
know zero about Hebrew - my course, starts next week...) The SBL Hebrew
font works perfectly in openoffice, so I wondered how it would go in
the terminal. I've settled on Courier New, but it's far from perfect.

> > - A line starts in right or left mode based on the first
>
> "strong" (e.g.: one with a clear directionality)

yeah - that sounds right.

> >   character. Is
> >   there anyway to control this? My application should always work left
> >   to right and just insert Hebrew in right to left mode, but sometimes
> >   the lines start with Hebrew.
>
> What applications do you use?

well - in fact I care about my editor (vim) and a program I have written
to help me learn vocab.

both suffer from this problem, but I can fudge my program, since I am
the only one who uses it.

as an examle, my vocab program takes a vocab file something like this:

actual file is (excluding pointing to keep things simple):

file should be displayed like (starting at left):

file is actually displayed like (starting at right):

now obviously, both are correct, it just depends on which language is
considered primary. But the second one looks wrong, because the quote
marks around the english translation are mismatched.

Does that make sense?

> I suppose it would not be difficult to add it as an extra control. I'm
> just not sure how actually usable it will be.

How would you control it? It doesn't seem like a really easy thing to
solve unless you pass a command line arg to mlterm saying "always start
lines at the left no matter what you think"

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@marshwiggle.net

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a