Current state of hibernation/suspend on Lenny (kernel 2.6.26)?

Hello,

Everything I've found on the net (ie: www.linux-laptop.net) is at least
a couple of years old.  I've left my Dell Inspiron 8600 on all the time
(plugged in) so far, but now I'm interested in suspending/hibernation.

Everything I've read, particularly related to the 8600, is that there
are problems, but the writings were not recent.  I'm particularly
interested in what current issues might still exist in the Lenny standard
kernel (2.6.26).  Since I've read that the video driver is a particularly
thorny issue, especially on resume, and I'm using the nvidia legacy
drivers, experiences with this driver will be particularly welcome.
I have a "GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go AGP 8x" GPU, per lshw.

#cat /sys/power/state
standby mem disk

So it seems that there is support, but does it work out of the box?
Any direct experience? Especially with a Dell 8600?  I have a very
busy desktop and don't want to risk losing all the information by
pressing the lid button (for instance) and then have to do a dirty
reboot.  Can someone reassure me that hibernation/suspend works on
Lenny?

I have noticed that the boot process looks for a resume image at some
point, but the KDE control panel doesn't seem to have a "power control"
entry, like I've read should be there.  Can someone tell me if Fn+Esc
(Fn+Suspend in blue lettering) works as it should on the 8600?  Then,
how do you resume?  Just press the power button?

# cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Device  S-state   Status   Sysfs node
LID       S3    *enabled
PBTN      S4    *enabled
PCI0      S3     disabled  no-bus:pci0000:00
USB0      S1     disabled  pci:0000:00:1d.0
USB1      S1     disabled  pci:0000:00:1d.1
USB2      S1     disabled  pci:0000:00:1d.2
USB3      S1     disabled  pci:0000:00:1d.7
MODM      S3     disabled  pci:0000:00:1f.6
PCIE      S4     disabled  pci:0000:00:1e.0

>From this I gather that closing the lid puts the computer in suspend-to-ram
mode.  Correct?  And the power button does a suspend-to-disk?  But does it
work?  Or do I risk big-time corruption and a reboot?

What exactly is the "standby" mode (in /sys/power/state) and how do you
get to it?

A.