Re: Current state of hibernation/suspend on Lenny (kernel 2.6.26)?

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 03:29:43PM -0500, I said:
> kernel (2.6.26).  Since I've read that the video driver is a particularly
> thorny issue, especially on resume, and I'm using the nvidia legacy
> drivers, experiences with this driver will be particularly welcome.
> I have a "GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go AGP 8x" GPU, per lshw.

Well, I had a forced opportunity to try.  The keyboard stopped responding
and I had to reboot.  So I tried a few things.

The lid button seems to put the system to sleep.  The "on" light then has
a slow, gradual blink.  But the system never wakes up when the lid button
is released.  The only option then is to force a power off by keeping the
power button depressed for the duration it takes to do that (5-10 seconds?)

The power button seems to just turn it off.  No "saved to disk" image is
found on power up.

Interestingly, the lid button on a thinkpad 600E only does the equivalent
of a "lock session".  Upon release, the screen becomes bright again and you
have to enter the password.  Then the previous state resumes.

So, at least with the nvidia legacy driver, resume doesn't work on a Dell
8600.

A.