Re: How to see the output of a custom init script on Lenny?

Ken Irving wrote:
> A red message?  I missed the earlier part of the thread so don't know
> what you're dealing with, but I suspect you must be in a gui environment,
> and telling the system to shut down via a mouse click or something.

Yes. I am using the standard Debian Deskop task, so that's Gnome without
any bootsplashes.

> The obvious problem with messages during shutdown is that, however they're
> shown, that medium is going to vanish, so you can't sit there and browse
> them ala dmesg after the system's turned off.

I don't need to browse them. I just need to be able to see that the
rsync I run on shutdown or reboot is progressing or if it has stalled.
It could output smiley faces for all I care, as long as I see something
happening. I don't want to stare at a blank screen for 10 minutes and
wonder whether the backup has stalled or my girlfriend has simply been
downloading a bunch of large ISO images again.

> If you turn off your gui environment and shutdown from a console, e.g.,
> hit Alt-F1 to go to tty1, then enter "sudo shutdown -h now" or similar,
> then I would think you'd see some messages there.

Yes, then I see the messages. But I used to see those messages too when
I simply clicked "System -> Shutdown" in Gnome. I don't have any kind of
bootsplash. When I shutdown through Gnome I get a terminal in front of
me with:

---
System is shutting down, please wait...
---

After that should appear messages like "shutting down gdm", "stopping
alsa", "unmounting network filesystems", etcetera, etcetera. All the
things that the init.d scripts say. They showed both in Etch and on my
previous Lenny machine, but on this new Lenny system they don't show.

I hope I've explained it better now.

--
Sander Marechal