Re: How to see the output of a custom init script on Lenny?

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 02:48:16PM +0100, Sander Marechal <s.marechal@jejik.com> was heard to say:
> > If you turn off your gui environment and shutdown from a console, e.g.,
> > hit Alt-F1 to go to tty1, then enter "sudo shutdown -h now" or similar,
> > then I would think you'd see some messages there.
>
> Yes, then I see the messages. But I used to see those messages too when
> I simply clicked "System -> Shutdown" in Gnome. I don't have any kind of
> bootsplash. When I shutdown through Gnome I get a terminal in front of
> me with:
>
> ---
> System is shutting down, please wait...
> ---
>
> After that should appear messages like "shutting down gdm", "stopping
> alsa", "unmounting network filesystems", etcetera, etcetera. All the
> things that the init.d scripts say. They showed both in Etch and on my
> previous Lenny machine, but on this new Lenny system they don't show.

  I think sometimes the messages show up on the console where gdm was
running.  Try pressing Alt-F7 when you see that message (or if you're
already looking at that console, try Alt-F1).

  Daniel