Re: apt-get upgrade error: package `coreutils' contains empty filename ?

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 04:35:37PM -0800, Eric Higgins <erichiggins@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> Still no luck on this. I can't even seem to force dpkg to upgrade:
>
> # apt-get -fm install dpkg
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Suggested packages:
>   lzma
>   dpkg
> 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 59 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/2039kB of archives.
> After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> (Reading database ... dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.13.26_arm.deb (--unpack):
>  files list file for package `coreutils' contains empty filename

  Do you see anything unusual in the file list for coreutils?  (i.e.,
/var/lib/dpkg/info/coreutils.list)  For instance, are there empty lines?
Does it look obviously corrupted?

  I would try "fixing" the problems that stop dpkg from processing the
files list, then downloading the .deb for the *exact version* you have
installed, and running "dpkg --install" on it to make sure the list is
correct.  NB: make sure it doesn't have anything that belongs to another
package first!

  I've attached the files list for coreutils on my computer for
comparison.

  Daniel