apt-get upgrade error: package `coreutils' contains empty filename ?

I've been unable to upgrade my debian machine for months now, just
getting around to trying to fix it.

~$ uname -a
Linux NSLUG 2.6.18-6-ixp4xx #1 Tue Feb 12 00:57:53 UTC 2008 armv5tel GNU/Linux

I've had some luck with these instructions:

I had to remove the files in /var/cache/debconf, so now all of the
perl errors are gone, but the dpkg upgrade still fails.

# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
 openssh-client openssh-server
 avahi-daemon bind9-host cpio dbus debconf debconf-i18n dnsutils dpkg dselect
 initramfs-tools initscripts libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data
 libavahi-common3 libavahi-compat-howl0 libavahi-core4 libbind9-0 libc6
 libcupsys2 libdbus-1-3 libdns22 libfreetype6 libgnutls13 libisc11 libisccc0
 libisccfg1 libkrb53 liblwres9 libpcre3 libssl0.9.8 libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2
 libvorbisfile3 linux-image-2.6.18-6-ixp4xx locales mt-daapd mtr-tiny ntpdate
 openssl perl perl-base perl-modules python2.4 python2.4-minimal reportbug
 rsync samba samba-common samba-doc selinux-policy-refpolicy-targeted
 smbclient smbfs swat sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-utils tzdata winbind
58 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/58.5MB of archives.
After unpacking 774kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.13.26_arm.deb (--unpack):
 files list file for package `coreutils' contains empty filename
 /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.13.26_arm.deb
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.

Thanks in advance,
Eric