read only nfs root and var

I'm trying to setup a server that export root over a read only nfs file system.
I managed to enable local settings for each machine by mounting it's own disk
and then linking some files from etc.

The only problem I'm running into is var which should be partially from the
head node (looks like most of var/lib) and some local (var/run it seems). How
do I setup var to play nicely with a readonly root file system (it is possible
to symlink what needs to be write enabled to the local disk if needed)

Thanks