Re: Homemade FTP server

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:35:55 -0600
Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:05:16PM -0800, talikarng.usenet@gmail.com wrote:
> > Does anyone have any experience building their own ftp server for use
> > on a hoem network? I would like to build a small headless server
> > (remote login) for file storage (low traffic, preferably low power,
> > perhaps even have a torrent client on it)
> >
> > I would like the project to be small (2x shoebox sized if possible) so
> > what hardware would be recommended?
> > Do people find that debian works well for servers?
>
> See if the NSLU2 works for you. The NSLU2 (Slug) is a headless device,

I've been toying for a while with getting a Buffalo Linkstation for
this sort of thing.  Manufacturer recertified models are often
available for as little as $60-$80 USD.  These prices include a HDD of
several hundred GB, and the HW seems to be superior to the Slug in at
least several ways (1000Mbit ethernet, internal HDDs plus USB
support).  There's a pretty active hacking community:

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Main_Page

and they have a Debian page:

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Debian

But I ultimately don't know if linux is as well supported on them as it
is on the Slug.  Anyone have a more informed, experienced verdict on
these Buffalo devices?

Celejar