Re: sound card not detected

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:36:35 -0500, Tamas Hegedus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running debian/lenny.
> I have an integrated sound card:
> 00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation
> 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

I think this card needs the snd-intel8x0 module, not snd-hda-intel.

> It was recognized by the system but did not work.

That would have been the right moment to ask for help here.

> So I installed the alsa-driver, lib, utils as described at:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-hda-intel
> Plus: toos, oss, plugins

This makes things much more difficult, because it introduces a mix of
modules and messes up Debian's configuration files.

> The only 'unusual' thing during installation: I had to run ./snddevices
> to have the /dev files

Udev will take care of device node creation when the snd modules are
loaded; don't mess around in /dev unless you really know what you are
doing.

> But my card is not recognized now. If I run alsaconf, it does not find
> it. The sound modules are not loaded at bootup.
>
> If I run "modprobe snd-hda-intel" I get:
> WARNING: Error running install command for snd

You seem to have a broken mix of the Debian and the non-Debian ALSA
modules. Can you revert to a clean Lenny install?

          Florian   |