Re: aptitude freezes after install

Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 01:51:13PM -0500, microwaverich <richgrif@one.net> was heard to say:
I upgraded from Etch to Lenny yesterday. Now aptitude isn't behaving properly.

When I enter a single command at the command line, like:

aptitude install xawtv

it works fine.

If I just enter 'aptitude' to start the full-screen (ncurses?) version, when it completes an install it stops responding to the keyboard. I can abort using CTRL-C, but nothing else seems to work.

Advice?

  No, but I'm curious what your hardware / software configuration is.
I've been trying to figure out this bug for over a year now, and I
can't figure out why just a few systems show it.

  If you're up to running some historical versions to see where the
bug was introduced, we could try pulling old packages from
snapshot.debian.net.  For starters, maybe these:

  Version 0.4.5.3-1:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2007/06/18/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/

  Version 0.4.7-1:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2007/10/31/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/

  Version 0.4.10-1:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2007/12/17/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/

  Version 0.4.11-2:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2008/03/17/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/

  Some of these will also need libcwidget1, which you can find here:

  libcwidget1:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2008/04/13/debian/pool/main/c/cwidget/

    Thanks,
  Daniel

Daniel:

I don't know if I'm "up to" it, but I'd love to give it a go.

Here's some possibly relevant info about my system. Let me know if you need more.

Processor:	1.8 GHz AMD Athlon XP 2200+
Total Memory:	1 GB

The problem occurs with both kernels 2.6.18-6-K7 and 2.6..26-1-686.

As I stated originally, it did not happen with Etch (using 2.6.18.6-K7), but it does happen with Lenny using that same kernel.

I had done the upgrade by:

1. following the recommended "Preparing for the next release" steps (remove obsolete packages, get rid of /etc/network/options, etc.) 2. changed /etc/apt/sources.list settings from 'etch' to 'lenny' (I use ftp.us.debian.org)
3.  run:
aptitude update
aptitude install apt
aptitude install dpkg
aptitude install aptitude
aptitude dist-upgrade

They all seemed to work fine except:

X didn't work, and I found I had to run:
aptitude install xserver-xorg-video-nv

When I found that aptitude froze after an install in ncurses mode, I ran:

aptitude autoclean
aptitude reinstall apt
aptitude reinstall dpkg
aptitude reinstall aptitude

but that didn't help.

If I understand you correctly, I should try installing the above aptitudes (in reverse order?) and then installing some other package (any package?).

.... Rich