Re: mounting two disks on the same mount point (not at the same time)

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Reid Priedhorsky wrote:

> I have a couple of USB disks that I use for backups. I rotate them so only
> one is attached at the same time. I have a nightly cron that mirrors the
> directories of interest onto whichever one is attached using rsync.
>
> I'd like to mount whichever one is attached at the same mount point,
> without having to specify the device. For example, rather than:
>
>   $ mount /dev/disk/by-id/usb-ST316002_1A_DEF107679C83-0:0-part1 /mnt/backup
>
> I'd like to say:
>
>   $ mount /mnt/backup
>
> The latter works for whichever is specified first in /etc/fstab, but not
> the other one.
>
> They are both *usually* the only USB disk attached, so they both appear as
> /dev/sdc1, but I don't really want to depend on that.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Reid

How about putting something like this in a shell script and just calling
that?

for DiskID in DISKID1 DISKID2 ; do
if [ -b  /dev/disk/by-id/${DiskID} ] ; then
	echo "mounting disk $DiskID"
	mount /dev/disk/by-id/${DiskID}  /mnt/backup
fi
done

Jeff
--
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.