transfer rate to usb key issue

Hi everyone,

I've recently tried to use my usb flash drive to copy stuff on it. First, i discovered that letting usb-mount manage it, makes it dead slow (approx. 100KB/s). However, mounting it manually changed things, but not to what i expected: the transfer starts off okay (25MB/s) then suddenly pauses, more and more often, until the average transfer rates approaches 1MB/s, but barely progresses at all.

My kernel is 2.6.26, same thing happens with 2.6.28. My distro is debian lenny, all updates installed.

Anyone got the same issue?

Have a nice week end!