Re: transfer rate to usb key issue

2009/1/17 Laurent <olol85@gmail.com>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've recently tried to use my usb flash drive to copy stuff on it. First, i
> discovered that letting usb-mount manage it, makes it dead slow (approx.
> 100KB/s). However, mounting it manually changed things, but not to what i
> expected: the transfer starts off okay (25MB/s) then suddenly pauses, more
> and more often, until the average transfer rates approaches 1MB/s, but
> barely progresses at all.
>
> My kernel is 2.6.26, same thing happens with 2.6.28. My distro is debian
> lenny, all updates installed.
>
> Anyone got the same issue?
>
> Have a nice week end!

I have seen a similar issue when transferring to micro SD cards,
transfer  seems to plateau out at between 300-500kB/s. Especially
prevalent with large sustained transfers.

I assumed it was the flash cards because it didn't matter if I used
the laptops built in card reader or a usb trans-flash adapter, Now I'm
starting to think it's an inherent problem with flash memory
alltogether.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.