Re: essential packages getting deleted when switching to testing libc6

Stephen Dewey wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>>> I am having trouble with the libfaac0 package, and have been hoping to
>>> upgrade it the hope that a bug fix has been released for my problem.
>>> The libfaac0 package requires libc6 >= 2.7-1 but etch only has
>>> 2.3.6.ds1-13etch8, so I've added a testing distribution to my sources
>>> list.
>>>
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>> Sure.  Don't mix Stable and Testing.  This close to Stable becoming
>> Oldstable, Etch and Lenny have very different dependencies.
>>

> Ok. I am OK with moving to Lenny. Would it then be OK for me to simply
> upgrade to Lenny via the below?
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get -t stable upgrade
> apt-get -t stable dist-upgrade
> apt-get -t testing upgrade
> apt-get -t testing dist-upgrade
>
> (I am getting this from
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html   - I

That seems to have been the prefered way of upgrading from potato to
woody. Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (a.k.a. woody) was released on 19th of July,
*2002*.

I followed the recommendations for lenny from
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/10/msg00000.html
and it worked for me without problems.

> * If you are running stable (aka "Etch"), you could consider
>   upgrading to "Lenny" and see, if everything works fine. Currently there
>   are no detailed release notes documenting the procedure, so you best
>   way to test upgrades are to:
>
>   1. Make backups
>   2. Change your /etc/apt/sources.list
>   3. Run aptitude update to get information about new packages
>   4. Run aptitude install dpkg aptitude apt to install the newest package
>      management
>   5. Run aptitude full-upgrade
>
>   If something goes wrong / something unexpected happens, please report
>   it. If you already know a specific package, report a bug against that
>   package. If you don't know, please report a bug describing the problem
>   you experienced to the upgrade-reports package. If your problem is
>   something, which can't be fixed properly, but should be documented
>   (e.g. hardware support regressions, packages no longer available)
>   please report a bug against the release-notes package (Bonus points if
>   you not only report the bug, but also supply a paragraph to be added to
>   the release notes).

The main difference is that aptitude is now prefered over apt-get.

YMMV,

Johannes