Re: How to regenerate a popularity-contest UUID

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2009-01-15 17:45 +0100, Brian McKee wrote:
>
>> I have a group of machines I was going to enroll in
>> popularity-contest, but since they were created by cloning them via
>> mondo-rescue, the UUID in /etc/popularity-contest.conf is all
>> identical.  I've looked at the FAQ and the README, as well as the man
>> page and the website, and the only thing I've found is
>>
>> # This key was generated automatically so you should normally just
>> # leave it alone.
>>
>> How do I create a new one?
>
> Look into /var/lib/dpkg/info/popularity-contest.postinst, the
> generate_id() function shows you how to generate it.
>
> Deleting the MY_HOSTID line in /etc/popularity-contest.conf and running
> "dpkg-reconfigure popularity-contest" should also do the trick.

Thanks guys.  Just deleting the MY_HOSTID line didn't work. Neither
did just running dpkg-reconfigure popularity-contest (I had tried that
earlier).

Looking at that postinst file you mentioned shows it matches the
md5sum of a .conf file with a blank MY_HOSTID rather than just
checking to see if it's there.  So rather than mucking around making
sure every space was in the right spot, I just deleted the whole
/etc/popularity-contest.conf file THEN ran dpkg-reconfigure
popularity-contest.  Tada!

Thanks again,
Brian

PS  and my guess was right - it does use uuid