Re: kernel naming conventions?

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 09:57, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

>>> 3. How can I tell my aptitude-search command to list wider columns to
>>> see the entire name.
>>>

>> IIRC, pipe it to cat; when stdout isn't a terminal it ignores the COLUMNS
>> environment variable.
>>

> Just leaving the grep portion out solved my problem, although I suspect I
> could feed some parameters to grep to widen the column.

You could also use aptitude in interactive mode (use / to search). Not only
should you see the whole package name, but in detail view you can clearly
see the nature of "linux-image-2.6" vs "linux-image-2.6.18-6-686"

Personally, I always use the ncurses interface over the pure CLI.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers