Re: Question about LVM and volume images on loop

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Paul E Condon <pec@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
>  I do this because I want to
> store large files on a HD whose hardware interface
> limits file sizes to 4Gb, and I want to store larger
> files than 4Gb. ( The HD has 500Gb total capacity.)

As the others have pointed out - that doesn't seem likely.  A drive is
just a bit bucket that doesn't grok it's own contents.

However, let's say for the sake of argument you don't want to have any
files over 4 gig.  Why not shrink the existing partition and create a
series of 4 gig partitions, then use them for physical volumes in LVM.
 Much simpler than getting loop devices in there etc.

Brian