Re: Question about LVM and volume images on loop

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:27:08AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 January 2009, Paul E Condon <pec@mesanetworks.net> wrote
> about 'Re: Question about LVM and volume images on loop':
> >>
> >> HD hardware interfaces do not know where files begin and end.[1]  You
> >> *might* be using a filesystem that limits you to 4Gb.  If so, LVM won't
> >> buy you anything and you'll have to switch filesystems.
> >
> >My hope is that I can write a bunch of 4G files mount them as 4G hard
> > drives, and group them into a single 'volume group' whose total capacity
> > is some large multiple of 4G. Is this impossible?
>
> It's probably a bad idea.  BUT, it should be possible.
>
> It would be much better to use ext[234], jfs, xfs, or even reiserfs
> directly on the drive.  You say you have problems, but I'm using reiserfs
> across a raid-0 on WD driver and reiserfs across a raid-1 on WD drives
> without issues.  Could you go into more details.

I tried ext3 about a year ago and I could get it onto the disk. I couldn't
remember the details of why it didn't work, so I decided to try again to
gather some current data with which to confront this community, but ---
IT WORKED! Thanks to all for provoking me into new action!

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net