Re: howto make root emacs open in X

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:50:00PM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 03:38:30PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmmm... you must have set up passwordless SSH to root.  I hope this sshd
> > > is not accessible from Internet.  You may be attacked easily.
> > >

> > I did it with localhost public key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts and my
> > user pub key in /root/.ssh/authorized_keys .
>
> Sorry I have come in a bit late and the answer might have been given
> previously.

I gain freedom from continual typing of passwords.

I have three debian computers on a small LAN. I have deposited
authorized_keys and known_hosts files on all of them so that I can
work on files on any of them using the CPU of any of them, all from my
single desktop computer. Each time I log into my desktop I must give
my password once and run ssh-add and give my ssh key password
(once). After that I can move about the system without ever typing a
password again until I quit and have to log in again. I can abandon a
shell on a romote machine and them immediately reenter it by scrolling
back and reexecuting a previously typed in ssh command.

To do this, I use ssh and sshfs. No private keys that lack passwords
are need, just some ingenuity. This is all being done on a small LAN
protected from the internet wilderness by NAT. It's OK for me, IMHO.

YMMV

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net