Re: laptop lenny + TV

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 05:45:01PM -0800, consultores1 wrote:
> El lun, 05-01-2009 a las 13:58 +0100, Emanoil Kotsev escribió:
> > consultores1 wrote:
>
> yes, it works with a monitor, but not with my TV! xrandr can't see the
> TV.

Well, I did this recently.  It took quite a bit of research, but the
xorg.conf below works on my Dell 8600.  It has a TV-out plug and it
came with a dongle that has 3 plugs at the other end: S-video, composite
and S/PDIF digital audio.  I'm using the center one (composite) plugged
into the front of the VCR, but it could go into the back of the TV too.

I found a similar xorg.conf on the internet and extracted the relevant
parts and added them to the standard xorg.conf that lenny had generated
for my display (WUXGA).  Plugged in the cable into the VCR input and
after selecting the right input on the vcr, I had a blank desktop on
the tv.  Now, the next step - displaying video on the tv from applications
run on the main display took some trial and error.  It turns out that
you need to use -display :0.1.  Once I had figured that out everything
worked.  The TV display is actually a full display and I can move the
mouse to it and activate menus and so on.  Of course that's pretty
useless since the low resolution of the TV makes all text unreadable,
but if you had a hi-def tv it would be useable that way.

Here's the xorg.conf:

A.

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edited by hand to add the TV-out screen

# This whole section added from the old xorg.conf (etch).  It might not be
# needed.
Section "Module"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
#       Load    "ddc"
#       Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"kbd"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
EndSection

# The mouse devices (trackpoint and pad) seem to work find, so left as is
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier      "Card0a"
	Driver          "nvidia"
	BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
	Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
	Option          "NoLogo"                "true"
	Option          "FlatPanelProperties"   "aspect-scaled"
	Option          "UseEdidFreqs"          "on"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier      "Card0b"
	Driver          "nvidia"
	BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
	Screen          1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier      "Secondary-TV"
	Device          "Card0b"
	Monitor         "TV-Out"
	Option          "ConnectedMonitor"      "TV"
	Option          "TVStandard"            "NTSC-M"
	Option          "TVOverScan"            "1.0"

	Subsection "Display"
		Depth   24
		Modes   "800x600"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Dell Panel WUXGA"
        DisplaySize     332     210
        HorizSync       28-110
        VertRefresh     43-90
        Option          "DPMS"
# This is apparently not needed in lenny, a must in etch
        # 1920x1200 @ 85.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 107.10 kHz; pclk: 282.74 MHz
#        Modeline "1920x1200"  282.74  1920 2072 2280 2640  1200 1201 1204 1260
EndSection

#TV Entry
Section "Monitor"
	Identifier      "TV-Out"
	HorizSync       30-50
	VertRefresh     60
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Primary"
        Device          "Card0a"
        Monitor         "Dell Panel WUXGA"
        DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier      "WUXGA + TV out"
	Screen          0 "Primary" 0 0
	Screen          1 "Secondary-TV" Below "Primary"
	InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
EndSection