"D3 the chip in the firmware restart code"?

Hi!

Using my ipw2100 Wireless card, I have a problem, which seems
to be a very old bug that is still not fixed.

Error Message:
[ipw2100: Fatal interrupt. Scheduling firmware restart.]

Asking google, I found this message by Matthew Garrett:

,----[Matthew Garrett MID: <20080921224210.GA24461@srcf.ucam.org>]
| Try D3ing the chip in the firmware restart code. Yes, it's retarded.
`----

Okay, I'd love to, but: what???

Nice to see there are still people working on this bug.
Maybe I should just wait till this is fixed, but nevertheless I'd
still like to know what D3 the chip means.

Can anyone shed light on this one?

thx