Re: laptop lenny + TV

consultores1 wrote:

> El lun, 05-01-2009 a las 13:58 +0100, Emanoil Kotsev escribió:
>> consultores1 wrote:
>>

>> > yes, i want to show my desktop and videos, presentations and all what i
>> > do in my laptop.
>> >

>> You have to configure the tv out (s-video) as second display output, then
>> configure your desktop to use two displays, where your 1st display is the
>> computer monitor and the second the tv.
>
> If i do dmesg | tail, the TV is not recognized, but if i do it with a
> monitor; it works. I assume the tv is not recognized.

monitor works different then tv output - I think on the VGA/DVI outputs
there is a sense key to check if something is attached.

>> It can be done on user land with xrandr, but may be the tv extention has
>> to be enabled in the xorg.conf. I've never tried s-video myself but you
>> can have a look on my xrandr output below and notice the TV and TMDS
>> output lines. With xrandr you can configure it very easy: man xranrd.
>> I'm using lenny with kde 3.5.10 with intel video on a dell latitude and a
>> combination of xorg.conf and xrandr script to get 2 displays working. ATI
>> and NVidea, which I've been using occasionally too, are easier to
>> configure.
>
> yes, it works with a monitor, but not with my TV! xrandr can't see the
> TV.

may be you have to enable the proper extension for your video driver

>> On windows either the driver or an additional app usually provide a
>> configuration interface for the task and the display manager can control
>> the output.
>
> yes, it is what i a looking for, and i found something similar at totem
> configuration.

don't understand what you mean with totem config

>> (Attention: If you are using intel graphics chip most probably you have
>> to disable drm/3d)
>
> no, i'm using a 00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation
> C51 [Geforce 6150 Go] (rev a2)

try then reading the manuals for the driver

man nvidia or man nv

I don't have it installed here on my system, but my father has it and
recently I configured it. unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the TV
output as he is not using it.
But from my experience with intel card you should define the output in your
xorg.conf.

there seems to be a utility called nvtv

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out

about xorg.conf with TV I googled fast and found this which gives an idea

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-linux-help/43764-nvidia-tv-out-config.html

I'm using

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML
Express Integrated Graphics Controller"
        Driver          "intel"
        BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"
#       VideoRam        512000  # Obsolate
#
        Option          "monitor-VGA" "PHL"
        Option          "monitor-LVDS" "DLCD"
#
  Option      "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,VGA"
  Option      "EnableMonitor" "LVDS,VGA"
  Option      "ForceMonitors" "LVDS,VGA"

EndSection

I would use for TV

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML
Express Integrated Graphics Controller"
        Driver          "intel"
        BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"
#       VideoRam        512000  # Obsolate
#
        Option          "monitor-TV" "TV"
        Option          "monitor-LVDS" "DLCD"
#
  Option      "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,TV"
  Option      "EnableMonitor" "LVDS,TV"
  Option      "ForceMonitors" "LVDS,TV"

EndSection

and setup a corresponding monitor section

Section "Monitor"
#  DisplaySize  376 301
  HorizSync    30-90
  Identifier   "TV"
  ModelName    "800X600@70HZ"
  VendorName   "TV Vendor"
  VertRefresh  58-72
  UseModes     "Modes[0]"
EndSection

and modes if necessary ... but I never did use it recently

regards