Re: Debian AMD64

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:45:21AM +0000, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> > I've never seen movie audio transcoding use 100% CPU.
> Tanscoding from wav to ogg will top my CPU: AMD Athlon64 2.2GHz, i
> assume video is mode demanding.

What do you mean by ogg? vorbis? theora? (any video chipset that can
decode theora or dirac, BTW?) I assume vorbis.

http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/Vorbis_I_spec.html#vorbis-spec-intro

Like many other codecs, vorbis makes encoding a more complex and
CPU-intensive task than decoding. So the fact that your computer
worked so hard on encoding does not mean it'll sweat as badly when playing the song.

But then again, we add ripping a CD to the CPU-intensive tasks.

So, and back to the list of tasks that can benefit from a processor:

* Openning an ODF document
  - Opening the ZIP archive
  - Rendering forns to the screen, with many complex calculations of
    location and size.
  - Saving the file back.
* Displaying a PNG or JPEG image