Re: k3b & brasero don't work, nerolinux does- works ar 2X

On Sat January 10 2009, Bob Cox wrote:
> Hi Paul - I have just been looking at this bug report of yours, which I
> assume is the one at
yes, that is my bug report. When I type "reportbug" it started the process.
I'm not sure how it picked that namd/email combo, unless I signed up for
reportbug with it long ago.... I use my yahoo account for some online STUFF
where I don't want to give out my good email IDs..

> I have followed much of this thread because I use k3b daily to burn DVDs
> (and the occasional CD) with no problems at all with it or, presumably,
> with its various external applications (wodim etc).  I have been
> wondering if I could identify exactly what is 'different' about your
> setup  nd causing you these problems.  My Lenny installation is up to
> date and everything has been installed with aptitude from Debian and
> Debian-multimedia repositories, so of I can help by providing version
> numbers or anything then please ask in this list but I suspect they will
> be exactly what apt-cache policy for lenny would show.
your repositories & mine might differ, and I've turned off the multimedia one
because it kept failing.

> Anyway, in your bug report you say you "took out" genisoimage, but then
> go on to say you were able to successfully use mkisofs.  However, on my
> system, mkisofs is just a symlink to genisoimage.   In fact the package
> description for mkisofs says "This is a dummy package to ease the
> transition to genisoimage, the fork of mkisofs.  It provides a mkisofs
> symlink to genisoimage for compatibility purposes.  Please use
> genisoimage instead of mkisofs."

some /usr/bin/ files:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root          24 2009-01-08 12:07
cdrecord -> /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root          23 2009-01-08 12:09
mkisofs -> /opt/schily/bin/mkisofs

and you are correct, I didn't take out genisoimage, but I did change mkisofs.
ii  genisoimage    9:1.1.9-1      Creates ISO-9660 CD-ROM filesystem images
ii  mkisofs        9:1.1.9-1      Dummy transition package for genisoimage

> I only mention this because it does look a bit confusing but maybe I'm
> missing something.  If so, sorry for the noise.

it is confusing, trust me.. trying to figure out what program calls what, and
what the error means, and why nero linux works and k3B/Brasero don't.. I
still don't know why Nero works or what it uses to burn stuff, and I still
don't know what changed to break k3B. I used to use makedvd -burn and then it
just stopped working. I still don't know exactly what they call or what
program is doing the actual work. I don't really WANT to know all the
underlying programs I JUST WANT IT TO WORK. But I am willing to work with
people to figure out what broke and help FIX it. Joerg was very patient with
me, helping me navigate through the maze to download/install cdrecord and
make it work.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800