Re: [OT] Pros and Cons of Gmail [WAS] Re: Lenny: which arch for a Intel Core 2 Duo?

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 20:49:25 -0800, Steve Lamb (grey@dmiyu.org) wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Which is why if you want privacy *and* address independence, you need to
> > spend the extra effort to get a dynamic DNS address and run your own
> > IMAPS server, and probably a web server, too, with squirrelmail.
>
>     DynDNS has problems since you will get blocked on outbound mail.  Even
> with a static IP it is next to impossible to mail AOhelL, Yahoo! or Google.
> Find a decent VM vendor and lease a 256Mb box.  :D

So long as you have a static IP which is from a block recognised as such
(which amongst other things means it is not listed in dul.dnsbl) AND
have valid a valid rDNS (PTR record) in place then you can send to these
people ok.  I've been doing it for years.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.