Re: k3b & brasero don't work, nerolinux does- works ar 2X

Hallo Jörg,

Joerg Schilling wrote:
>                                                            It _is_ a shame that
> Debian does not come with the bug-free original software but with a replacement
> that causes many problems for the Debian Users.

Let's summarize:

1. You'd like to have the 'bug-free original software' in debian.

2. You don't release your original software with a license compatible
with the DFSG [1], ie your licence is explicitly not one of those
endorsed by the debian project. In fact you deliberately changed your
license from one endorsed by the debian project to a different one.

This seems rather contradicting to me.

3. You claim that your mixing of licenses is legal, despite dozens of
people from different free and commercial distributions having a
different opinion on the matter, including both GNU and Sun, who seem to
agree that both licenses are incompatible. (GNU is the body that defined
what 'free software' is, so it seems obvious that any license that is
designed to be different by definition is 'not free' or at least 'less
free'. Sun designed the CDDL explicitly to hinder mixing of GPL and CDDL
codes [3].)

4. You claim that distribution of debian's (modified) version of wodim
is *illegal* despite the fact that you also claim that your software is
free software and hence legally distributable in modified form as well
as in unmodified form [2].

This all would be funny as a plot for a film, but unfortunately it seems
you take it to be serious.

It's a pity that once again the free software community suffers from
legal and personal quarrels instead of joining forces to create better
software.

Please note that i am neither a lawyer nor interested in reading more
than about 10 pages about the whole dispute. I might be wrong with my my
personal compilation and interpretation of what I found on the web. In
fact I hope that you will prove me wrong and that it thus will be
possible to distribute your code with debian in the future.

Cheers,

Johannes

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
[2] http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDDL
    google will help you to find many pages supporting the argument
    that cddl and gpl can not be mixed.