Re: k3b & brasero don't work, nerolinux does- works ar 2X

Chris Bannister wrote:

>Are you sure it it using the "new cdrecord"?

What do you understand by "new cdrecord"?

wodim has been created from a very old version of cdrecord
by adding new bugs and by changing things in a way that
makes wodim be in conflict with the GPL and the Copyright law.

The mature DVD support from cdrecord (introduced February 1998) has been
replaced by half baken code in wodim without reason. As a result DVD
support in wodim not really existent.

The clean and generic SCSI low level support (in libscg) has been
modified, resulting in a low tolerance on Linux kernel modifications
like e.g. introducing libsata.

Tests for missing root privileges, done early in the original cdrecord code
have been removed resulting in code that looks as if it could work without
root privileges, but this just lets wodim fail later with unclear reasons.

There are no real bug fixes and there is no development in wodim.
Wodim still has more bugs than the original cdrecord it was based on.
Since May 2007, the initiator of the fork did not work on a single
change but rather advertizes for the closed source software "nerolinux".

>It would be a shame if wodim wasn't "doing its job for Debian Users."

"would" seems to be an inapropriate word in this relation. It _is_ a shame that
Debian does not come with the bug-free original software but with a replacement
that causes many problems for the Debian Users.

Paul Cartwright wrote:

>no, how would I know? the man page doesn't show any options for cdrcord vs
>wodim..

The people behind wodim claim that there are no differences and for this reason,
they don't document.

If you compare the very old source, wodim was based on with a current cdrtools
source, you will find that nearly 50% of the code has been replaced or added
during the past three years. There are many new features in the original
software and there is a lot more tolerance against firmware bugs in drives.

I recommand to have a look at the latest release (2.01.01a55) in

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

make sure to be root when calling make install, to allow cdrecord to be
installed suid root as needed on Linux.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)