Re: OT: laptop recomendations

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 20:09:01 +0800
"Koh Choon Lin" <kohchoonlin0@gmail.com> wrote:

> > If it's any indication then most companies I know work with thinkpads and
> > Dells.
>
> Dell have Inspiron and Latitude while Lenovo has Thinkpad and Lenovo
> models. Would there be a difference in support?

At least thinkpad is still supported by ibm, don't know if lenovo is. It would
make a difference. The problem with lenovo is build and parts quality. If you
need the support -- too much -- that it doesn't matter how good it is.

Dell is the same issue. Inspiron is mostly junk. Latitude is durable. If you
look deeper than the buzz words (cpu speed, screen size) you will see the
difference (build quality, finish, chipset, or even as far as touch pad
quality - alps vs synaptic - and keyboard quality).

And as to your question, yes there is a difference in support. If you look at
what you are paying for, part of it is corporate support vs. home user support.
They take companies more seriously that regular users (unlike Sony for example
that just ignore everyone altogether ...)