Re: Transferring pictures from a digital camera (it was Re: Best software under Gnome)

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 23:59:44 -0200, Daniel Cliff (daniel.cliff.email@gmail.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Milan SKOCIC <milan.skocic@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "F-Spot is meant to be an easy-to-use photo management
> > application.  It allows for importing of your existing
> > photo collections, tagging photos with identifiers,
> > as well as doing simple edits of photos".
> >
> > Personally I use it and I'm satisfied.
> >
> > Milan.
>
> I just tried it out and it's pretty nice, but I would like something
> more specialized to transfer the pictures from the camera to a local
> folder. Does anyone know if there is something like that?
> Specifically, I would like to:
> _ delete the pictures in the camera after successful file transfer (I
> guess most people normally do that in order to take new pictures,
> right?),
> _ rename the files according to some pattern (eg 20090101_001.jpg,
> 20090101_002.jpg etc)

One way is to use a simple script to rename each image file to a date
and time based format, such as YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS.jpg based on the image's
EXIF data.  These data can be extracted with, for example, exiftime,
which is part of the exiftags package.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.