Re: Transferring pictures from a digital camera (it was Re: Best software under Gnome)

Daniel Cliff wrote:
On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 1:27 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
_ delete the pictures in the camera after successful file transfer (I
guess most people normally do that in order to take new pictures,
right?),
mv?  cut-n-paste?

BTW, this is sth I always wanted to know ever since I got my camera:
Does anyone know how digital cameras store pictures? When I mount the
camera, I see the pictures are inside a directory, which in turn is
inside another directory. I've always been reluctant to mv the
pictures from the camera to a local folder, because I thought that
might mess things up with the camera. I know I may sound naive, but
perhaps there are caveats to take into account.

Does the camera disregard directories?
Can you rename files in the camera's memory?
Can you rename folders in the camera's memory?
Any caveats?

When I got a mps3 player 2 years ago I made the mistake of messing with the filesystem: don't do that! Had to run XP under VMware to reinstall the Packard Bell firmware.

Hugo