Re: Nice looking terminal applications

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 08:55:10PM -0200, Maurí­cio wrote:
> I've realized most of my time in a computer I use
> just an input/output line. (I don't even need a
> vt100-like terminal, since I use 'ed' or 'sam' as
> text-editors.) But I still need X because of
> utf-8 fonts and anti-aliasing.
>
> Is it possible to get that without X? Can I get
> my text-only terminal to use utf-8 and nice fonts?

For a higher resolution, you can add something like vga=<something> to
the kernel parameters in grub.conf/lilo.conf; vga=773 seemed to work
reasonably well last time I tried.

For utf-8 fonts and various other X11-style options, I suggest
installing the console-setup and console-terminus packages.

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@subvert.org.uk
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0