Re: Card works, but still no connection [Was: Re: PCI ethernet card from ebay doesn't work at all]

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 10:48:42AM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sun,30.Nov.08, 21:22:59, A. F. Cano wrote:
>
> > This is interesting.  On my machine it is eth4, I have no idea why.
> > So, when I modified /etc/network/interfaces and replaced eth0 with eth4,
> > ifup eth4 now works.  This is the only ethernet card in the machine.
>
> Damn, I missed a small detail I should have told you about: after each
> modprobe you should have checked 'ifconfig -a' (-a to show ALL cards,
> including those that are NOT active).
>
> The name is easy to explain, just check
> /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

This is interesting.  There is a line there for probably every ethernet
card I've ever put on that machine, including a pcmcia 3c589 in a pcmcia
to pci adapter.  That didn't work as the 3c589 driver apparently doesn't
like to share an interrupt and the kernel insisted on sharing irq 9 with
the pcmcia-pci adapter.

> > I have tested loading 8139too by itself and both 8139cp and 8139too.
> > No errors but ping fails with "Destination Host Unreachable" in both
> > cases.  Interestingly, the LED at the back of the card flashes and
> > the LED at the network hub flashes, both when initiating the ping
> > locally or remotely.
>
> This sounds like network configuration problem. We'll need to see your
> /etc/network/interfaces /etc/resolv.conf (unless you have resolvconf
> installed) and explain your network setup.

Actually the setup is exactly the same as I had for the previous
ethernet card, an old ISA SMC that has been working fine for
years.  The only thing I've done is replace eth0 with eth4 since the
new RTL card insists on being that.  In fact, when I have to get
something into the machine in question, I swap the SCSI ISA card
(a 1542CF) and put back the old SMC ethernet card and I can connect
with no problem (with the wd driver).  The reason for the new PCI
card is that I need the one ISA slot for the SCSI card now.  So
the basic network setup works with the old card, it's also quite
simple: static addresses, and in /etc/resolv.conf there is only
"nameserver 127.0.0.1", but I'm not using name servers since the
static IP numbers and names are in /etc/hosts.

I wonder if there is some irq conflict with the sound card, or
something that udev or the kernel does automatically that messes
things up.  I have tried 3 locally compiled kernels: 2.6.18, 2.6.24
(etch and 1/2) and 2.6.26 (from backports.org).  In the latter 2,
the sound card doesn't work, but in all cases irq 9 gets assigned
to both.  That should not be a problem, right?  Nothing hangs or
crashes, it's just that the pings never go out.  I've read some
posts lately about sound problems in the ethc-and-a-half kernel,
so maybe that is a separate problem.

A.