Re: PCI ethernet card from ebay doesn't work at all. Some progress...

First, thanks to all that have replied to my orignial query.  I have
made some progress, but I still can't even ping.

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 05:00:51AM -0800, Angus Auld wrote:

> I have a cardbus adapter called "Zonet ZEN 1201 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet 32-bit", which is actually a Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+. It was very inexpensive, but it works extremely well for me in my Dell Inspiron 1150 using Lenny.
> It is identified thusly by lshw:
> *-network
>           logical name: eth0

This is interesting.  On my machine it is eth4, I have no idea why.
So, when I modified /etc/network/interfaces and replaced eth0 with eth4,
ifup eth4 now works.  This is the only ethernet card in the machine.

> And lspci -v shows this about it:
> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
>         Kernel driver in use: 8139too
>         Kernel modules: 8139cp, 8139too

This I'm not getting.  I suppose the Etch version of lspci doesn't
show this.

I have tested loading 8139too by itself and both 8139cp and 8139too.
No errors but ping fails with "Destination Host Unreachable" in both
cases.  Interestingly, the LED at the back of the card flashes and
the LED at the network hub flashes, both when initiating the ping
locally or remotely.

So it looks like the proper driver for this card is 8139too, but
something is not quite right (tested on kernels 2.6.18, 2.6.24 and
2.6.26, all locally compiled)

> I have had no problems whatsoever with this card on several different Linux distributions.

> I am more than willing to post any of my configs that could be of help.

Any other hint as to why ping (or any other data transfer) doesn't work
would be welcome.

Thanks!

A.