Card works, but still no connection [Was: Re: PCI ethernet card from ebay doesn't work at all]

On Sun,30.Nov.08, 21:22:59, A. F. Cano wrote:

> This is interesting.  On my machine it is eth4, I have no idea why.
> So, when I modified /etc/network/interfaces and replaced eth0 with eth4,
> ifup eth4 now works.  This is the only ethernet card in the machine.

Damn, I missed a small detail I should have told you about: after each
modprobe you should have checked 'ifconfig -a' (-a to show ALL cards,
including those that are NOT active).

The name is easy to explain, just check
/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

> I have tested loading 8139too by itself and both 8139cp and 8139too.
> No errors but ping fails with "Destination Host Unreachable" in both
> cases.  Interestingly, the LED at the back of the card flashes and
> the LED at the network hub flashes, both when initiating the ping
> locally or remotely.

This sounds like network configuration problem. We'll need to see your
/etc/network/interfaces /etc/resolv.conf (unless you have resolvconf
installed) and explain your network setup.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)