Re: ping hostnames ala windows ping.exe?

On Fri,10.Oct.08, 15:08:56, Lachlan wrote:
> i've started using lenny for my work pc and there's a feature of the
> windows ping.exe that i'm trying to find in linux.
>
> something in windows i've used a lot is pinging by hostname to find
> the ip of the pc i'm looking for.

If you want to have the IP for a given hostname all you need is 'host':

$ host bixi
bixi has address 192.168.77.76

On sid this is in package bind9-host.

> a lot of things i've been doing require me to enter the ip not hostname.
>
> i've looked at arping, sing and oping but i haven't had any luck
> accepting anything other than ip's.
>
> all i'm looking for is something along the lines of ~$ hostping
> -usehostnames computerhostname
> from the commandline.
>
> i'll be using this laptop in a lot of different offices so will i have
> to add dns info to my /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf for each
> network?

There are various tools to deal with changing configurations, you will
have to provide more details. Try to use DHCP as much as possible, as
this will automatically provide the necessary configurations.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)