ping hostnames ala windows ping.exe?

i've started using lenny for my work pc and there's a feature of the
windows ping.exe that i'm trying to find in linux.

something in windows i've used a lot is pinging by hostname to find
the ip of the pc i'm looking for.
a lot of things i've been doing require me to enter the ip not hostname.

i've looked at arping, sing and oping but i haven't had any luck
accepting anything other than ip's.

all i'm looking for is something along the lines of ~$ hostping
-usehostnames computerhostname
from the commandline.

i'll be using this laptop in a lot of different offices so will i have
to add dns info to my /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf for each
network?